Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Power of One


   
"Small people doing small things can alter the world"
-Dorothy L. Miller


     I was always told to tell my story because of the many unusual events that have taken place in my life however; I have learned that my life is not a combination of events but of moments, of people.  Moments of feeling that if I continued on I would break, moments of getting lost in love.  Moments of learning, tears and laughter, and the people, who, in those moments gave of themselves to me.
     Recently I have been faced with a decision, to share or not to share?  All of us know someone who at the right time and just at the right moment has shared something of significance with us that has changed us forever.  It has happened to me and I know it has happened for you.
     Just last week I was driving a friend to the airport who I haven't seen in probably 15 years!  I had to drive two hours just to pick her and her daughter up, to drive two more hours back to the airport.  There was something inside me that told me I needed to do this for her.  It was an amazing experience. She was someone who I have always admired and loved and we just picked up right where we left off.  We took turns giving brief time lines of our lives since we went separate ways.  She spoke openly and honestly to me about her life and particularly her most recent trial...her daughter has terminal cancer.  She doesn't know if her daughter will live to her 4th birthday.  My friend was remarkably positive even in the midst of what was to be.  As we were talking she mentioned several times a blog that shares her story with her daughter.  I was instantly touched and inspired.  I had been thinking for several weeks about creating a blog, but felt unsure and very insecure about it.  When I dropped her off, I drove away filled with joy and was so grateful to have made the trip...sooo worth it!!! I knew I needed to share my story.  We continue to keep in touch.
     So at the risk of being vulnerable, or being ridiculed, discouraged or disliked I am going to add my voice…my story to many others who have shared theirs with me. They opened their lives and hearts to me to make me better and stronger, so I could live another day, to make me smile, to feel safe. More importantly they, at risk to themselves, decided it was more important to help me, to love me than to protect themselves.  I honor them, and you who are reading for the many difficult and inspiring stories that have been told and will yet be shared…
     My purpose is to continue my own journey of healing, growing and share peace, light, hope and love. I want to give permission to everyone out there to love who they are, to love where they came from, their sufferings, victories, weakness, strengths.  These are gifts that create our character: passion, integrity, compassion, faith, and hope, humor, among just a few.
     Okay, about me...well, I intend to be blunt and honest so if that's not for you stop reading:)  My whole life I have been ashamed of who I am.  I have wished, prayed to be different, to be someone else.  I have even pleaded with God to take me from this earth because I just could not continue.  I have recently been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and other psychological mumbo jumbo that isn't really important.  I was sexually abused as a young child on multiple occasions by several individuals, which has literally infected every part of my being and distorted my view of the world.  I struggle to trust anyone, to believe that anyone could ever love me.  I never felt good enough for anything really good, I was wasn't worthy of anything truly wonderful because I was damaged, beyond repair and believed it would never change.  It was like I was experiencing everything from inside a bubble.  I could see out and feel what was happening around me and what other people were going through, but they could not see me.  I was invisible.  My whole life I've felt that I have been screaming in a crowded room and no one could hear me.  I hated myself, all the time, everyday and I believed everyone else did too.  About 6 months ago, I decided to get help.  I went to my ward bishop(church leader) for guidance and suggestions for therapy.  We found a counselor as well as a psychologist who, immediately prescribed medication.  In the process of these 6 months, in addition to the previous 35 years of life, feel I am finally making "real" changes and not just compensating for the sake of self-preservation.  I am coming out of my bubble.
     So why am I sharing now?  Because I believe its time for me to STOP being ashamed of who I am and start recognizing all the miracles, the wonderful things that have come to me through these things.  They are a part of me, but they do not define who I am.  They helped to form, but not to establish the truth of me.  I am learning to love myself.  I am taking risks and developing talents and doing things that I love.  Each day is a battle and I have to choose what will win out the day.  I have to make a conscious list of what I did that was good or better than the day before and then honestly determine ONE thing to do a little better the next day.  It is hard AND it is GOOD.   I am good.  I am SIGNIFICANT. Not by society or the world's definition.  I know that I have great value and purpose.  I know that I can make this world a better place somehow.  I have nothing to be ashamed about...no more secrets!!!  I want so much to help someone else come out of the dark, to understand and know their value and find purpose.
     The "one" who has stayed by me through it all, who has given strength, put me in the path of wonderful people, protected me, and who is in the PROCESS of healing me, is God...our Heavenly Father.  I know Him to be real and very much in the details of my story and in yours, past, present, and future.  I love Him and know that every good thing has come from Him.
     I will be sharing in more detail about my struggles and hopefully victories too.  Today, I won some, and I lost more of the battles than I would have liked to.  It is okay and I am okay.
     I know that everyone has their won battles and I hope that we can recognize the warrior within all of us and find courage to move forward even when we cannot see.

3 comments:

  1. I admire your courage to write a blog. I loved reading it. Ironically, the most sensitive and personal information that you (the universal you, not specifically YOU) think others wouldn't understand you for and judge you for are the gems in your blog. Thank you for sharing your story. It made me tear and really provided me strength. You change my life by being in it. I'm so grateful for you. I love you Dot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dot, you are truly amazing! I thought so in college and I KNOW so now. How strong you REALLY are is evident. I never would have even guessed what you went through because when I knew you in the "condo row" apartments I thought "She is so amazing, and sweet, and caring." I know you can continue to make huge strides in your life because that is the Dot I know. Sarah Astle Blankenagel(in case you didn't know who 'the boss' was).

    ReplyDelete